The Shipley School seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Long-term Upper School Latin Substitute teacher from January 3rd to March 24th, 2023. The candidate will have experience in the Latin Classroom, hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in a related field and possess a clear educational philosophy, which is consistent with the mission of the school.
The Successful Candidate must:
- Teach 5 sections of Latin at varied levels (Latin II, Latin IIH, Latin III, Latin IIIH, Latin IV/VH).
- Be current with trends in second language pedagogy.
- Have experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and work to create a supportive atmosphere and rigorous academic program in which all students will thrive.
- Display professionalism in working with all stakeholders in the school.
- Show a desire to work collaboratively with all members of the Shipley Community to positively contribute to the enhancement of our learning community.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have experience teaching Latin to Upper School-aged students (Grades 9-12).
- Demonstrate a superior level of proficiency in Latin.
- Have a desire to teach a course on Ancient Greek and Roman History.
- Exhibit excellent speaking and writing skills.
- Have experience with content-based instruction to Upper-School aged students.
- Demonstrate an excellent ability to differentiate instruction in order to meet all students’ needs.
- Work collaboratively with department members to develop a cohesive curriculum that supports student growth at all levels.
- Constructively solicit and use feedback in the classroom.
Shipley and Its Commitment to Equity
The Shipley School, founded in 1894, is a co-educational, college preparatory, independent day school currently enrolling approximately 800 students in grades Pre-K through 12. Located in the western suburbs of Philadelphia, the school is committed to educational excellence and dedicated to developing in each student a love of learning and compassionate participation in the world.
The Shipley School is committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. The school will make all employment decisions for employees and applicants without unlawful discrimination as to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy, age, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity and expression, creed, genetic predisposition, victim of domestic violence or any other basis protected by law.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and complete the online application by November 22nd, 2022. Applications received missing supporting documents will receive less consideration. Please note – clearances are not required at time of application but will be required for employment.