|Open Position: Managing editor, Bryn Mawr Classical Review
Institution: Bryn Mawr Commentaries
Position rank: Managing editor
Area of specialty: The ancient Mediterranean world
Application deadline: 12 August 2022
Bryn Mawr Commentaries, a not-for-profit publisher in Bryn Mawr, PA, seeks a managing editor (ME) for its open-access online journal of book reviews, Bryn Mawr Classical Review (BMCR). BMCR publishes continually throughout the year, except for breaks in August and December.
The ME is responsible for day-to-day operations of the journal and production of its digital publication, in consultation with and under the supervision of the Senior Editors. Responsibilities include receipt and initial format check of submissions; managing the editorial process for submissions; final formatting of reviews for publication; oversight of BMCR’s WordPress database; assistance with the assignment of books to reviewers; and coordination with and oversight of student employees.
The BMCR Managing Editor is a part-time position of 10–15 hours per week, reporting to the Senior Editors.
– Directs all stages of BMCR’s production from initial review of submissions to digital publication
– Coordinates the workflow of editorial process among editors
– Collaborates with student employees in construction of book lists and correspondence with presses, authors and reviewers
– Shares copyediting and layout work with senior editors, and interacts with authors as needed when questions or problems arise
– Manages BMCR’s WordPress databaseMeets regularly with Senior Editors to set BMCR policies, priorities and schedule
– Ph.D. (preferred) or ABD in classical studies, ancient history or related field.
– Proficiency using word-processing and publishing software (BMCR uses MS Word, WordPress and Mailchimp).
– Experience in the editorial operations of a scholarly journal highly desired
– Excellent written communication skills
– Exemplary time management skills
– Ability to work collaboratively with remote co-workers
– Authorized for employment in the U.S.
Pay for the ME will be commensurate with experience (with a floor of $30 per hour). The position will commence on Tuesday 6 September or as soon thereafter as possible. Bryn Mawr Commentaries does not provide benefits. Applications must include a cover letter, cv, and the names and contact information of three persons who can provide recommendations. Please send all materials to email@example.com.
BMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit the BMCR’s website (https://bmcr.brynmawr.edu).