(borrowed from the SCS post: https://classicalstudies.org/education/guidelines-latin-teacher-preparation)
The American Classical League (ACL) and the Society for Classical Studies (SCS) are pleased to present the Guidelines for Latin Teacher Preparation.
This document, which is a 2023 revision of the 2010 Standards for Latin Teacher Preparation, sets out what a beginning-career Latin teacher should know and be able to do, and includes the addition of an Addendum of Resources.
The document organizes a beginning Latin teacher’s knowledge, skills, and understanding under four main guidelines:
- Content Knowledge
- Pedagogical Knowledge, Skills, and Understanding
- Other Areas of Responsibility
- Professional Development and Lifelong Learning
The Guidelines will be useful to:
- College & university faculty and students of Classical Studies
- Faculty of Latin teacher preparation programs and schools of education
- Students in Latin teacher preparation programs
- K-12 Latin teachers
Below you will find links to the Guidelines for Latin Teacher Preparation, the Addendum of Resources, and a one-page flyer available for printing and display in departments or for sharing online. Please share the Guidelines with students and colleagues:
Addendum of Resources (Google Doc)
One-Page Flyer (PDF):