The Classical Association of the Atlantic States is seeking applicants for the position of Secretary. The Secretary will serve a three-year term, with the first term beginning after confirmation by the CAAS Board of Directors and running through the end of the Fall 2022 Annual Meeting. The position is a renewable volunteer appointment. The Secretary attends the Board of Directors business meeting in April and Fall Meetings in October; conference calls and emails are scheduled between meetings as needed.
The general responsibilities of the Secretary, according to the CAAS Bylaws, are:
The Secretary shall cause true minutes to be taken and kept of all meetings of the members and the Board of the Corporation. The Secretary shall perform in general all the duties incident to the office of Secretary and such other duties as the Board may prescribe.
The responsibilities as detailed in the CAAS Regulations and Operating procedures:
The Secretary, a Board-appointed officer serving a three-year renewable term, shall:
- take notes at all meetings of the Board of Directors, write up draft minutes and circulate these among Board members, and prepare final minutes to be presented to the Executive Committee for approval no later than a month after the Board meetings,
- prepare minutes recording all actions taken at the Business Session of the CAAS membership to be presented to the Executive Committee for approval no later than a month after the Business Session,
- serve on the Executive Committee and prepare minutes for all meetings of this committee,
- receive, tally, and retain all mail ballots and attach these to records of actions taken without a meeting,
- collect meeting evaluation surveys, tabulate the responses, and present a written summary to the Board,
- maintain all official records of the Association other than the financial books kept by the Treasurer and be prepared to make these available upon request,
- collect and keep the annual disclosure statements signed by all Board members
- send all official records of the Association to the Archivist when his/her term of office has concluded.
- Applicants must work or reside in the CAAS Region, i.e. New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and District of Columbia.
- Applicants must be CAAS members and retain their membership throughout the term of office.
- The successful candidate will be expected to communicate with the current Secretary in the period after their acceptance of the position to facilitate assumption of the position and acquisition of documents and electronic files.
Please send applications to Nominations Committee Chair Ann Raia (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 15, 2019. Applications should include a letter of interest, the names and contact information of three references, and a current curriculum vitae.